Have been coughing my lungs out this whole week and even losing my voice for a few days due to the sore throat…
Today feeling better and will be off to work soon.
Now that I’ve got most of my mojo back, can’t help myself to have some fun…
Readers who have thin skins or if you are not familiar with my style, you may want to stop and desist – stop reading.
Only regular readers who are already immunised are recommended to read further. If not, guarantee you will be moody the whole weekend!
First, let me refer you to this interesting blog post by B (I like him; but not in that you OK?):
Let me ask you some poking questions to see if your understanding is only “skin deep”:
1. Look at your portfolio. Now tell me were they bought based on using the 80/20 rule? (Be honest now)
2. Explain what is that -40% stock doing in your portfolio? Is it still part of your 20% focus?
3. Between your earned income and investing returns, which is bigger? Pray tell how much time resources are you spending on your job versus your investments? Explain your understanding of the 80/20 rule to me again? (And you wonder why you are not doing well in your career)
4. And for those who have set your financial freedom goals, milestones, and plans; have you done the same for your career? Your family? How about your spiritual goals if you are not an atheist? No Life goals?
So you are saying the rest are not part of the equation? They belong to the 80% trivial? Your happiness comes from the 20% activities that you have identified as financial freedom? (Please don’t let your boss, wife, children, and spiritual leader know)
5. Do you want our teachers and tuition teachers to practice the 80/20 rule on us and your child? In practice, what’s reality? Who’s your favourite teacher when you look back? Did they practice 80/20 on you? Are you one of those who support more resources should be spent on elite schools and less on neighbourhood schools?
6. You are definitely not one of those who complain about income inequality. If those 20% of the elites are ones who generate 80% of the revenues, they should be rewarded with 80% share of the profits! Wrong meh?
7. If you are an aspiring writer, singer, or entrepreneur, and you are now “wasting” your evenings and weekends on doing what you really love – your passion. How would you respond to that well meaning friend/relative who is trying to convince you to end your dreams with:
“Look, you are earning peanuts from your passion. Stop your silly dreams and focus on your day job – it’s providing the 80% of your livelihood!”
Its fun and you feel empowered when you agree with the 80/20 rule. That’s knowledge.
You know what’s wisdom?
Wisdom is what you do when you discover:
Your boss, your company;
your spouse and family;
your teacher, spiritual leader, mentor;
your broker, insurance/property agent, banker;
they somehow don’t see you as belonging to that famed 20% that they should spend 80% of their time and resources on…
Singapore Man of Leisure (welcome to my blog; just google it!)